Sunday, August 21, 2011

Middle - Final Blogs


Middle Blog


 Reading through the articles in the Harvard Press Business School Press and writing my case papers helped me to look past my boxed view of mentorships.  I was able to apply just about every principle that was introduced in the workplace during my time with Georgia Soccer.  I not only build positive relationships with the people I was working with, but I also had connections at outside events and with the other interns.  I think peer-to-peer mentoring is something that is overlooked but can be very be very beneficial in the long run.  I was also able to apply some of the accounting, marketing, and finance principles I learned earlier in the program.  


During my internship I was given a research project by the tournaments director.  My project consisted of compiling a contact list of contacts for soccer clubs in Ohio and New Jersey.  I put together an excel document with club directors, contact information and, mailing addresses.  I was given post cards promoting the Atlanta Cup tournament to send to each club.  I also called each club to let them know we would be hosting the tournament and to see if they had any questions pertaining to entering.  I was asked to have one of the other interns do the same for the state of Tennessee.  The goal was to try to get at least 20 sent out each day.  I gave the instructions to the other intern and I checked in with him to see how the project was going.  Each time he said fine and I trusted that the work was being completed.  By the end of the month when the director asked for the contact list, I had a list of a couple hundred contacts while the other intern only had about 30 names listed.  Needless to say she was disappointed, not only because there were so few contacts but because I did not manage his work closer. 

As for improvements I would suggest having a total intern orientation opposed to being placed in a department and figuring things out slowly on their own.  I think having a booklet with all of our duties, passwords, and important contacts would be beneficial.  This was everyone knows where to find everything, especially with a company that work off a cloud for their computer system, it was a little overwhelming in the beginning.  It was also assumed that the prior intern explains everything that needs to be done to the new interns, but this was not the case.  Also, I think it would be a good idea to have an evaluation session with each of the managers that you work with opposed to just the supervisor.  I would like to know how the other managers felt about my performance during my time there. 


Final Blog

For the most part I think Georgia Soccer is well organized.  They are the one state association that handles affiliation and hosts four major tournaments annually.  Because they are a nonprofit organization they keep a small number of office employees but have a very committed volunteer oriented base.  It was made clear in the beginning of the internship that they do not plan to hire but will always send a reference when needed.  Some of the employees have been there for years, I think it would be a good idea to consider someone younger to add to their organization.  Maybe to add some fresh ideas that may attract a larger innovative target to continue to spread the joy and experience of the game.

My supervisor and I got along for the most part.  We did have a few communication issues that pertained to me taking constructive criticism.  I think it comes naturally as an athlete that when I am being criticized I need to know what I did wrong, I explain my approach, and ask how it could have been done differently.  I think by me explaining my process it was taken as defensive.  Although it was done in a clam tone and flowed with the conversation, it became clear that she wanted to me to simply say ok and move on.  It is in my nature to need to understand the overall objective.  After the conversation I did think about what she was saying, I think that was a situation where I need to learn to pick my battles.  After working in an office for almost three years I have to remember the role that I am playing as I pursue my career from starting and the bottom and working my way back up.  I did apologize and we didn’t have any other issues.  As for the other manager we all got along great and I am very happy with the overall experience.

Although my supervisor did not have much knowledge of soccer she ran the operations of the office very well.  Working with the other departments in addition to the operations gave me a good overall understanding of the organization and all of the aspects involved in it operating smoothly.  The down side was miscommunication between my supervisor and me because I always get along with everyone.  Although our relationship was not damaged, it was clear that she was a little disappointed in a few things from my evaluation. 

There is certainly more positive to take from this experience that negative.  I enjoyed working with all of the managers and my supervisor.  I built good relationships inside and outside of the organization.  It was a great summer full of soccer, laughs, and new professional relationships.  If you would like to learn more about Georgia Soccer I listed the links for the Facebook page as well as the Georgia Soccer website.  I plan to stay in touch with all of the office employees and review my short term and long term goals as it pertains to the suggestions of the my mentor to continue to advance in my career.       

No comments:

Post a Comment